Forever favorites

  • *daffodils*
  • 1.2.3.4.5 little people*
  • dark early mornings*
  • hats*
  • laundry on a spring morning*
  • stormy nights*
  • my beloved*
  • long walks with a stroller*
  • glowing candles*
  • the smell of honeysuckle*
  • parade drums*
  • a summer dawn*
  • pumpkins*

Acknowledgement

Header Photo by artist/photographer Laura George.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Beginning

Life is full.
At the moment, it is half full of awe - and half full of anticipation.
Could it be that I am actually writing my very first post for my very first blog.
I feel as if I'm stepping into a strange new existence. . .

I guess I should start with why.

Why am I writing a blog?
Something I thought might happen...someday...years (and years) hence.  "When I have more time" was my frequent note to self.
Yet, here I am. 
I guess I can give credit to two sources -
Two friends.

While in college, my sweetest friend from across the hall started keeping a journal of sorts.  I can't remember what she called it, but it was essentially a little book chock-full of things that made her happy.  Whenever she was feeling a bit blue, she'd pull the thing out and start listing.  I say "list" because that's all it really was - a string of things that made her smile that day.  I don't think any line was more than a few words and never a full sentence.  I know this, not because I peeked (heaven forbid), but because she read a page to me one day.  The page where I made the list.  Well, not all of me.  A part of me.  My favorite part of me. 

Maybe that is why the idea has stuck with me all these years.  Maybe.  But, I think it is more due to the idea that writing down her favorite things could make her happy.

Flash forward to present day.

I just spent 2010 in a torpor.  Pregnant with my fifth child.  Lost in a sea of emotions brought on by a tide of hormones unlike any I'd previously experienced.  I needed an outlet...or an inlet...something to allow me to feel myself again.  In that midst, having forgotten about the previous tidbit of my past, I stumbled upon a blog written by a dear neighbor friend.  And there was a list.  For a moment I was 19 again - with the world at my doorstep - and a friend reading another list.  So I knew.  I knew I needed to make my own list.  Thus it begins . . .



Casey

2 comments:

  1. Casey - I love this! You can count on me to be reading your blog. I'm already inspired!

    It's amazing how powerful lists can be. Whenever I'm struggling, I can always rely on a list to help me refocus. In some strange way, a list gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cas- This is gonna be so fun to read! You write so well and have always cracked me up so I'm sure I will be highly entertained by your cute blog!

    ReplyDelete